The sun is out but there is still a nip in the air. Let’s stay in.
Today just felt ripe for setting up my trusty Singer and getting a couple of sewing jobs done. You know the sort of things: those little niggley tasks that have been cluttering your ‘to do’ lists for longer than you care to admit. Tabs for duvet covers whose poppers gave up the ghost several washes ago have waited long enough. My life is just so scintillating!
I obviously needed to sweeten the pill. Yeah! a project that used my cloth stash and would provide a little something for young Peanut happily sprang to mind.
Those of you that knew me as a library lady will possibly remember this fabric I used it to make a shirt which I often wore for story times. Never fear readers there is no danger of an Omi-Granddaughter matching outfit scenario. My old Toddler Tales shirt has long since been relegated to the category of clothes that are only to be worn for painting and gardening.
Safe in the knowledge that there will be no baby-grandparent twinnage let’s move swiftly on.
The cutting out was a breeze. Only four pattern pieces and two pieces of interfacing. Call me odd but attaching iron-on interfacing is so satisfying.
Like any clothes-making for littlies it was fun to pull it all together. Whizzing up the side seams, stitching the facing sections to the main body of the pinnie.
Even for me, an inexpert sewer, the running up of this simple dress was a breeze. That is until …. the buttonholes!!!!!!!
As you’ll see I managed them. But even with a special buttonholing foot on my machine (I need all the help I can get) there was a certain amount of teeth gnashing. Believe me if you go awry with these little beauties it is the stuff of nightmares to unpick .
BUT slicing between the two rows with my trusty seam ripper…..oooooooohhhhhh….felt goosepimply good.
And in no time at all I had a Peanut sized pinafore dress all sewed up.
For those of you that would like to know which pattern I used it was New Look (Easy, Kids) Nos.6578.
Until next we meet, Moke x